Claremont Road and the Brickfields
As you leave the Bonningstedt Promenade the promenade continues towards the Buckle, However the junction with Claremont Road is worth a few moments to stand and stare. This junction was the main route out of Seaford until the Buckle By-pass was built in the 1970s. As such it featured a direction sign, just in case travellers had already lost their way towards Newhaven. The old finger post, once a major feature on East Sussex County Council's Highways, remains to this day.
Users of the road here were exposed to the storms which often resulted in the road being closed and all vehicles, which include buses being diverted along Belgrave and Firle Road to Grand Avenue away from the coast and returning via Hill Rise near Bishopstone Station thereby avoiding the Buckle altogether. Indeed the roadway here often experienced severe damage as this photograph from the 1950s reveals.
Continue west and the low lying land on the otherside of the road is known locally as the Brickfields.
This drawing by 1869, the original can be seen in the Seaford Museum as part of a collection of the works of local artist HH Evans, shows how the site would frequently flood with sea water forcing travellers carts to be swapped for boats. The history of brick making on this site is not clear but it may have been used to make bricks for the construction of the Martello Tower. Continue westward to The Buckle.