The Wellington Hotel with the water fountain in the middle of the road.
Just across the bottom of Church Street from Marine Terrace, this popular public house originally known as the New Inn has been in operation certainly for more than a century and possibly two centuries.In front of the inn was the King’s Well which was the last source of fresh water available to ships about to set sail. A water fountain denoting this was originally erected here, but later moved to a site on The Salts and at the beginning of the 21st century, it was moved again to its current location in nearby Jubilee Gardens. The Wellington was renamed after the Duke of Wellington stayed here. It has been argued this did not happen but evidence has recently come to light that it was a true story. The New Inn was the centre of many activities in Seaford for a very long period being used for public dinners and as Headquarters for the Honourable Artillery Company during its annual manoeuvres in the last part of the 19th century. The establishment of the grand Esplanade Hotel in 1891 took much of the business away from the New Inn.
Continue along the Steyne to the Jubilee Gardens