Crouch Gardens, known locally as the Crouch, was the site of a medieval market until 1712. From the early 1800s a house stood in one corner of the park, now the site of Coldstream House. The house was sold to the Seaford Urban District Council in the 1930’s and used as the Council’s Offices. The house was demolished in 1967. The gardens were requisitioned for allotments in both world wars and as a designated gas decontamination centre in WW2. The park has been home to the Crouch Bowls Club since 1935, and Seaford Town Football Club since the early 1900s.
Today the gardens are owned by Seaford Town Council and exist for the recreation and enjoyment of all Seaford’s communities and visitors. It also houses a Peace Garden built by the Quakers, landscaped gardens, a community garden and a children's playground. The 16th century archway entrance from East Street, near Bramber Lane, used to be part of the Town Hall and relocated to its present position in 1931. The gate was installed as part of the Coronation celebrations of Queen Elizabeth II.
Continue up East Street, cross over the High Street, turning next left into Croft Lane to find the Fitzgerald Almshouses.
The opening of the new Coronation iron gate in the 16th century archway
The Present day Peace Garden at the East Street entrance
View over the Bowling Green towards the football pitch