Pitt's House in the High Street at the junction with Saxon Lane is associated with William Pitt the Elder (1708-1778) later to become the first Earl Chatham in 1766. He was a major influence in 18th century British politics but only held the post of Prime Minister for two years, 1766 to 1768. He was elected as MP for Seaford in 1747 to 1754, when he became MP for Aldborough in Suffolk. He was the father of William Pitt the Younger who was also Prime Minister from 1783 to 1801 and again in1804 to 1806. Pitt is best known for his political leadership from 1756 to 1761 during the Seven Years' War. He was regarded a a great orator and a skilled parliamentarian. Pitt was also known as the Great Commoner for his reluctance to accept a title until 1766.
Return to Introduction