St Peter's School
St Peter's was founded in 1903 as an Edwardian Prep school by a Miss Taylor in Crouch Lane, Seaford. By 1907, the school moved to a purpose built house on land alongside Alfriston Road. The house was designed and built by a well known local builder, Morling, and there it remained until 1982 when the school closed. The building was demolished and replaced by a housing estate comprising Sandore Road, Bromley Road and a number of closes, all named after famous public schools.
Rolf Henderson was regarded as the first true Headmaster of St Peter's and was appointed in 1914. In 1934, Pat Knox-Shaw, who had joined the school in 1919 as second master, took over the reins as Headmaster on Rolf Henderson’s retirement continuing in that post until 1956. Like most of the Seaford schools during WW2 the school was evacuated in early 1940 to the to the Nare Hotel, in Veryan near Falmouth, later moving to Castle Hill, home of Lord and Lady Fortescue, at Filleigh in North Devon, remaining there until the end of the war. When in 1945 St Peter's moved back to its old home in Seaford, now vacated by the Army, and resumed normal service. As times changed, the days of traditional preparatory schools were passing, and St Peter's closed on13th July 1982.
Little remains apart from bits of boundary wall and trees surrounding the site and some other trees that formed part of Little St Peter’s garden mainly visible from Sandore Road but accessible from Millfield Close off Bromley Road. However the War Memorial, one of the chapel windows and a few pieces of memorabilia however can be viewed at the Seaford Museum in the Martello Tower.
Stained Glass can be seen at the Seaford Museum
For more information about St. Peter's School click here.